Java 7 and 8 features
Oliver B. Fischer
2015-10-27 16:37:21 UTC
Hi Vinicius,

it is mostly to allow people which are bound (for any reason) to older
JDK versions to use our software. There is a plenty number of projects
which are not able to use newer JDK versions. I know that this is a
controversial topic I think that the majority of us would like to use
all these features. But we must not forget the people using our software
in their daily work.

BYe,

Oliver
I analized some releases and i noticed that not using java 7 features like
multi catch and in java 8 do not use lambda expressions and others
features, so i came by this email to know why the developers not using this
features?
--
N Oliver B. Fischer
A Schönhauser Allee 64, 10437 Berlin, Deutschland/Germany
X http://xing.to/obf
Gary Gregory
2015-10-27 16:57:30 UTC

What I see, is that most projects are struggling to move to Java 7, Java 8
seems out of range. There are a lot of opinions and both sides of each Java
version for and against. At the end of the day, it's about user feedback
and committer community involvement. The projects I help on also lack
manpower and maintaining more than one version is not I see folks wanting
to do. For myself, I usually want to work on the current version in
master/trunk and move that along. My work$ development is on Java 7 and
slated to switch to Java 8 in 2016 I would guess.

Gary
E-Mail: ***@gmail.com | ***@apache.org
<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory
Maxim Solodovnik
2015-10-27 17:26:55 UTC
We are just moved to java7 and start using new features
I personally don't like the idea of moving all code to new java, I move the
areas I currently work on
Post by Gary Gregory
Hi,
What I see, is that most projects are struggling to move to Java 7, Java 8
seems out of range. There are a lot of opinions and both sides of each Java
version for and against. At the end of the day, it's about user feedback
and committer community involvement. The projects I help on also lack
manpower and maintaining more than one version is not I see folks wanting
to do. For myself, I usually want to work on the current version in
master/trunk and move that along. My work$ development is on Java 7 and
slated to switch to Java 8 in 2016 I would guess.
Gary
On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 9:37 AM, Oliver B. Fischer <
Post by Oliver B. Fischer
[...]
WBR
Maxim aka solomax
Andrew Gaul
2015-10-27 18:06:32 UTC
Related to Java versions, Apache jclouds uses modernizer-maven-plugin to
encourage use of modern Java APIs such as ArrayList,
String.getBytes(Charset), etc.:

https://github.com/andrewgaul/modernizer-maven-plugin
http://gaul.org/