Archiva to Attic? Asking contribution
Martin Stockhammer
2016-09-12 19:24:13 UTC
Hi Olivier,

I like archiva, because it's simple and lightweight comparing to nexus and
artifactory.
It has some advantages to the other two main repository implementations:
- You can deploy it on any application server (e.g. we use it on WebSphere)
- it does not claim to be a "multipurpose all providing" repository, it's only
a simple maven repository with a basic set of permission roles
- it's completely open source

There are some issues that could/should be solved but I think it's ok, when
there are no major changes the next time.
I'm willing to help (I have already sent some pull requests via github) and
looking forward to suggestions what could be improved.

I must say, it was very easy to setup the build environment. The maven build
and tests are working very well. And the code where I had to investigate some
issues was clear and understandable (great work!).

So if I can help, feel free to contact me. I'm subscribed to the mailing lists
already.

Greetings

Martin
Hi everyone,
I'm a bit sad to say I don't have anymore a lot of time to contribute to
the project.
We have a very limited number of contributor.
So we ask if you are interested to help/contribute to the project.
Otherwise we will have to move the project to the Attic land [1]
Let us know if you are interested!
Cheers
--
Olivier Lamy on behalf of Apache Archiva PMC
[1] http://attic.apache.org/
Mehul Sanghvi
2016-09-13 12:24:44 UTC
I just joined the users mailing list a couple of days, to start looking at
Archiva. I am coming from a Nexus
background, but to get things like staging repositories, we have to pay for
all the other junk that we don't want.

Based on this email thread, it seems Archiva might be starting to head down
on the road toward the archives.

Should I still consider a move to Archiva ?

cheers,

mehul
Post by Martin Stockhammer
[...]
Mehul N. Sanghvi
email: ***@gmail.com
Olivier Lamy
2016-09-14 00:57:31 UTC
Hi Mehul,
First you need to understand Apache Archiva is an opensource project
maintained by volunteers (which accept help :-) ).
So depending on those volunteers spare time, the activity can vary a lot.
I was just asking other here.
It looks we may have find Martin who looks happy to help.
I cannot promise you anything on the project.
Remember it's opensource depending on committer spare time.

Olivier
Post by Martin Stockhammer
Hi Olivier,
I like archiva, because it's simple and lightweight comparing to nexus
and
artifactory.
Jonathan Sharp
2016-09-14 02:48:37 UTC
Hey Olivier,

Its been a while since I've contributed any patches and I'm only partially
familiar with the code so far, but I'm trying to make some more time and
get back at it soon !

Thanks for all your great work.

Best

- Jonathan
Post by Mehul Sanghvi
on the road toward the archives.
Should I still consider a move to Archiva ?
cheers,
mehul
jieryn
Mehul Sanghvi
email: ***@gmail.com
Mehul Sanghvi
2016-09-17 05:06:05 UTC
Hi Olivier,

Yes I understand that its an open-source project. I've made
contributions (within my abilities) to several
open-source projects that I have used for myself.

My interest in Archiva is different in the sense that its not for
personal use, but for corporate use. What happens, once I'm gone or move
to another project ? I'd have to think about who will maintain it, will
they have time to contribute, etc.

Personally I like Archiva over Nexus OSS.

cheers,

mehul
email: ***@gmail.com
Jonathan Sharp